Clipstone Colliery visited with Jones-Y-Gog, a very nice place with a lot of interesting goodies inside!
Clipstone Colliery was a coal mine built on the site of Clipstone Army Camp in 1926 by the Bolsover Mining Company, then passed to the National Coal Board in 1947.
The colliery was sunk to exploit the Barnsley seam or Tophard, as it known locally. In the 1950s the shafts were deepened to over 1000 yards (920 m) to exploit other seams.
The colliery was closed by British Coal, as the National Coal Board had become, in 1993 and reopened by RJB Mining (now UK Coal) in April 1994, the licence to dig for coal being limited to the Yard seam which is located at a depth of 957 yards (870 m). The colliery was finally closed in April 2003.
The headstocks of the colliery are regarded as the tallest in Europe and the third tallest in the world. They are Grade II listed structures and can be seen all over the district.